July 21, 2010

Favorable Winds

It's Wednesday.  Which I am finding is a great day for me to ride my bike fast.  I wasn't really into it as I pulled out of the driveway, though.  I tooled out and came up behind a truck at the light.  He took off on green and I followed, hitting 21 mph before he pulled away about 100 feet later.  At that point I had to decide, do I keep it at 21 mph and shoot for the TWTT record or just soft-pedal in to work?

My new PR is 9:55.72!  Yeah, I chose correctly.  After yesterday's big effort I was unsure about my abilities.  I pulled up the the first split about 5 seconds slower than yesterday.  The confirmation came as I turned south and hit Nemesis Hill.  I hit 42 mph and held my top gears as long as possible in the flat.  I knew I was close, and maybe...just maybe could go sub-10!  Through the last traffic signal I looked down to see 9:18, which is a few second's slower than last week, so I really drilled it!  I didn't consider breathing...everything was on auto as I concentrated on spinning circles of power.  It all paid off when I looked down at the new record.  Sweet success! 

What made me faster today over yesterday?  Perhaps a slight favorable wind, and possible good timing on the traffic signals.  Those are the main factors that come to mind.  Whatever the case, I'm pleased with the result!

No comments:

Post a Comment