August 16, 2010

Cyclists are Climbers

Perhaps not all cyclists will assume the title of "Climber" because of what such a title might mean, but I suggest that unknowingly, every cyclist is a climber. 

I just spent the weekend backpacking with a group of scouts.  The trail we hiked began at a steady uphill grade and commenced for 6 miles like that.  At the 6-mile point, however, the trail turned UP.  We then climbed 2000 feet in about 2 miles. 

My preparation for this event consisted entirely of my daily commute on the bike.  I made no direct attempts at improving my hiking strength/skills.  Although I felt a dull and constant burn at my hips for the load I was carrying, I felt no pain in the quads for the work being done there.  In fact, when the boys were barely shuffling along with the heel of one foot rarely clearing the toe of the other, I was just waiting and walking and wondering how long it would take to dry my boots out after the rains of the day. 

I'm not saying that the work was not difficult, because the trail certainly took its tole, but I am claiming that my cyclista quads are great for climbing mountains!  So, although it may require a break from the bike, I believe all cyclists are climbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment