September 14, 2010

Clear Minded

I love to get on my bike and ride and not worry about anything else.  Except cars.  And traffic lights.  And shifting gears (when I'm on a multi-geared steed). 

Every work day I look forward to the ride home because it is a chance to clear my mind in preparation for being home.  I leave everything at my desk and go change clothes and get on the bike with nothing trailing me.  I start pedaling and exert myself to my limits and sometimes beyond them, and by that excercise whatever remained is purged from my mind. 

When I reach the house I sometimes find myself gasping for air.  My entire thoughts are to recover my voice.  When the weather is hot, I end up laying on the floor in front of the AC vent.  Now that the weather is cooling again I find myself refreshed rather quickly and able to talk to the kids as they play on the porch while I take off my shoes. 

I haven't spent much more time on the bike this year than on my commute, but it is enough, and it is not too much.  This sustains me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment