September 20, 2010

Shaken Faith

Last Thursday I drove to work because I was going fishing for the afternoon.  The fishing was great, and the weather was decent despite a 30% likelihood of rain.  Driving means I can sleep in an extra 15 minutes.  I was 30 minutes late for work that day.  Hmmmm.  That worked well.
Friday I woke up and laid in bed listening to the rain falling and the cars spraying as they drove by.  I could not muster myself out of my warm cacoon.  Not with the thought of catching spray in the face and pulling spotty-wet clothes out of my satchel to get dressed for work.  Even the bus ride did not appeal to me, so I drove again.  At least I made it on time that day.
As darkness seeps into my commute, I have to be careful about letting myself drive.  Last year it was October.  I didn't ride my bike once in October.  There were extra-carricular reasons, but blahhhh!  I hated it! 
I really need to get my commuter bike up and running again.  That's my bomb-proof old, Miyata, steel-framed steed with one speed, fenders, and a plastic-covered seat.  Mustache handlebars round out the package with bar-end brakes.  I put about $150 into building that bike up a few years back, and it eats through tires like I do peanut butter sandwiches.  Seriously.  The wheels are a mismatch to the frame, so the brakes rub through the sidewalls of the tires.  The fix?  New long-reach brakes and new tires.  I'm thinking about some CX tires to give a little traction in the winter this year.  The damage will be less than $100, and that should get me through another couple of years.
I've gotta do what I can to get through this sap-sucking fall and break me in for the winter riding season.

No comments:

Post a Comment