September 21, 2010

Cool Commuting

This morning was detectably cooler than yesterday.  Not yet cold...but getting there, I was surprised by the response by the cycling community.  Or, at least, the small sector of said community that I witness on my daily rendezvous. 
Typically I am lucky to see 1 or maybe 2 other cyclists during my ride in the morning.  Today I saw 7!  Plus one upon arrival at work where I greeted my boss (who converted to bicycle commuting early this year).  Amazingly, only one of these 8 other riders shared my opinion that it's not yet cold out.  To the rest of you, don't worry, long pants will certainly be necessary...eventually.  I do agree, though that we have reached the point of full-fingered gloves and sleeves/arm warmers.

I can't bring myself to believe that the cool weather brought these riders out of the woodwork.  Nope, I have a different theory.  My afore-mentioned boss instigated this theory when he began to arrive at work 15 minutes later than normal.  He changed his schedule to maximize his ability to detect potholes via daylight.  He is beating the system.  Take THAT, Daylight Savings!  Oh, wait...Daylight Savings is on our side, or at least it will be.
Of course, here in the northwest, he has waged a losing battle.  Unless you are able to REDUCE the number of hours you work in a day (really, not a bad idea if you can get away with it), you will certainly be relegated to blinky lights and reflective stickers...which is the ultimate in Cool Commuting!

By the way...my theory:  Everyone is changing their schedules to avoid riding in the dark.  I was about to accuse you all of being "Scardy Cats", but then I realized it's a healthy fear, and I'd be a liar to say that I feel completely safe riding in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment