July 07, 2010

10:38

Almost set a new 2010 personal best on the way in to work this morning.  I don't always try for a best time, but to try is an option each morning I get on the bike.  I usually know within about 5 minutes whether or not I can compete.  Here's how:
  • If there is a headwind over the first stretch or any rain or wet roads, I'm sunk.
  • The first leg of the ride is generally completed in less than 4 minutes.  If I'm more than 20 seconds over that, then it means my legs are not in it that morning.
  • If I make it through that first leg in less than 4 minutes there is one final test.  After I turn south, I cruise down Nemesis Hill.  If I can hit 40 mph or higher, then I'm set to compete. (Today I peaked just over 40.)
My overall best time was 10:20 set August 31, 2009.
So far, my 2010 best time is 10:32 set June 18th.

Really though, the true test is the ride home.  That's a topic for another day.  Or several other days.

No comments:

Post a Comment