July 06, 2010

Burnout

Over the long weekend I put a lot of sawdust on my bike instead of miles.  By last night I felt a bit stiff, and had the thought that I need to ride more.

This morning I dusted off the saddle and bars and got geared up for the ride into work.  I threw a leg over the saddle and pushed off while clicking into the pedals.  As I neared the road, I saw a couple of cars coming, so I pedaled hard to the center turn lane (I live on an arterial street) and then kept my momentum through the light. 

As I pulled onto the next street I saw a semi-truck and trailor easing up to spead ahead of me.  Involuntarily my legs jumped to the challenge and my heart thrilled at the thought of catching the draft of that truck!  In short order I was up to almost 25 mph, but my hamstrings wound tight and my quads seared.  My lungs were in worse shape trying to catch my racing heart.  Sadly, after only 1/4 mile I watched the truck pull away from me.

This jump-start did not help my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment