August 03, 2010

Assisted

This morning I caught a rabbit in my sights, but quickly determined by the weaving nature that it must be more of a turtle.  Sure enough, it was a fat-tired bicycle, but there was something else about it that seemed strange as I got closer.  The bike had a pannier rack with small hard cases attached.  I passed this man up my last hill, and discovered that he was on an electric-assist bike.  The hard cases must have been battery packs.  I hollered "Good morning!" over the whir of his electric motor as I left him in the dust.

At the next light I had to wait for just a moment...long enough to watch a mountain bike equipped with a 2-stroke motor buzz by with the cross-traffic.  I turned onto the cross street, and for a block had the pleasure of inhaling the exhaust of that noisy little motor.

I suppose if I HAD to, I'd go with the electric.  Just because I wouldn't stink when I arrived at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment