September 27, 2010

Historic Routes

Quick side-note:  I took my bike into the LBS to have its first tune-up.  Oh how I love a quiet, smooth, clean rig!

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a little piece about Spokane's 2nd Avenue.  I shared my ever-so-humble opinion that anyone wanting a bike lane there is crazy and probably sustains a death wish. 

Surprisingly (to me anyway), the very source I pinned with flaming the issue - Bike to Work Spokane - linked to my miniscule piece of the blagosphere and my readership sorta exploded.  Consequently, a few comments were shared, and one of those struck a chord in me I had never considered.

bleckb wrote:
I'm one of those who want something done for cyclists on 2nd. It provides a great through-way to get from one end of town to the other, linking Ben Burr and Fish Lake, along with Browne's Addition and Sunset Highway and Government Way.
Once 2nd is put back together, I'll be using it again. I come down Washington and turn at 2nd and follow it out to Sunset and Gov't Way. It's been a designated bike route probably since Expo 74 era, and it's on the Master Bike Plan.

The part that struck me was that last sentence.  I don't know bleckb's credentials.  (Oh wait, his blogger profile says he is an english teacher...uhhhh...I hope I'm grading well here!)  Has he been riding the 2nd Ave. route since Expo 74?  No matter. 

What struck me is that this route has been a bicycle route for a while...probably longer than it has been a one-way, business-laden arterial.  I hadn't thought about the historical aspect of bicycle routes.  Remnants of neighborhood structure are still visible over some portions of 2nd Ave, and I can see in my mind's eye a lazy day in the early history of Spokane when young people rode and walked those streets in safety. 

I still retain my opinion that vehicle travel on this dangerous street should not be compressed, but I appreciate the vision shared by Mr. bleckb.

3 comments:

  1. I have tried twice to post specific comments in response to this post but the system gives me an error message. I don't know the cause of the error--I stayed within the character count and took out links I wanted to provide since your form doesn't allow HTML.

    I would like to respond to the multiple descriptions of Bike to Work Spokane as "flaming the issue" and provide additional information on the Master Bike Plan. Is there a way for me to get my comment posted directly by you as the blogger?

    @BarbChamberlain
    Acting chair, City of Spokane Bicycle Advisory Board
    Founding chair, Bike to Work Spokane
    @Bike2WrkSpokane
    www.biketoworkspokane.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/27/2010

    "dangerous" or even crazy, it needs to be a choice. To simply negate access to 2-wheelers because of some 4-wheel congesters is giving up the freedom that we're entitled to. If we give up our "share", we'll never get it back

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, it appears your comment came through this time. I have also read your commentary on facebook including the tweet history.

    First off, an apology: I meant no offense with the phrase "flaming the issue". I do appreciate that you are bringing issues to the table. I've already taken some adjustments to my train of thought, and continue to mull this issue over in my mind. Were it not for your tweets, I would have let my opinion slide, and would remain silent.

    From my initial perspective: The tweets began focusing on an urgent request for bike lanes on 2nd Avenue, but the facts were not laid out. I felt this was biased and irresponsible, because the safety of the present users must be addressed.

    My current perspective: Evolving now to see a bit of history, and also looking forward to a future city atmosphere, I admit my nay-saying is counter-productive. However, I still cannot overlook the existing safety and service levels of 2nd Avenue and consciously consider necking it down.

    ReplyDelete