September 28, 2010

Reactionary Meetings

This morning after flying down Nemesis Hill (affectionately named, for its effect on my return commute), I bottomed out at a hasty speed.  I did my best to maintain speed.  I kept the big gear up front and pedaled hard. 
As I approached the next cross street, a car pulled up to the intersection on my right and executed what I remember (as a teenager) calling a "California Stop" (although I have never experienced anything to justify that generalization).  Fortunately for me, the driver saw me quickly approaching AND he reacted. 
At first, I perceived his reaction as conceited and rude because he hit the accelerator and crossed in front of me while he turned into the parallel lane to mine.  As it turned out, I did not have to react in any physical way to avoid a collision.  In fact, I purposely did not react...you know...so I could show that man what danger he was flirting with.  (Retrospectively, I think I made a stupid choice there, but I won't admit where.)  Had the driver hit his brakes instead of his accelerator, he would have stopped midway into my travel lane and I would have had to react in a big way to avoid collision.  I had to admit to myself that he made a good choice and subsequent reaction.
I ended up coming within 10 feet of that car as it crossed through my lane, and then I kept up with it as we rolled up to the next red light.  While pedaling in the car's right wingman position I realized that we would stop next to eachother, and I would have an opportunity to communicate with the driver.  I acted as I would have if our meeting had not been so reactionary.  Truly, having thought about it, I was pleased that he had reacted with confidence and prevented collision.

No comments:

Post a Comment