October 01, 2010

Doctor's Orders

I've had a stiff neck for a while now...nearly 5 weeks.  It began one morning after I presumably slept wrong on it, but I think I seriously over-stressed myself prior to that by playing football one day and then going out wakeboarding the next.  For a couple of weeks the pain seemed to fade, but never completely gone, it erupted again after another football game.  After that the pain did not fade.  Rather, it seemed to become more painful and irritating each day.  This week I scheduled an appointment with my doctor. 
I was a little apprehensive about finding out what was wrong.  I felt terrible the day before the appointment and missed 1/2 a day of work.  I even rode the bus to work; fearing that the pain was exacerbated by my riding position.
I love the efficiency of my medical team.  Checked in, vitals check, flu shot, visit with doc, x-rays, follow-up with doc, all in 45 minutes!  Not to mention that I set up my own appointment online and can email my doc and receive responses. 
Whoa...sidetracked.
My doctor diagnosed a neck sprain.  Textbook example.  The plan of recovery?  Anti-inflammatories and daily cycling.  Really, it was more like this:  "daily low-impact aerobic exercise...so cycling."  Did I mention I like my medical team?  My recovery plan requires that I ride my bike!  Wahoo!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I need to go see your doctor. All the ones I've visited take FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete