July 16, 2010

Riding Position

There are two benefits of cycling that I really love:  Fitness and Thrills. 

The thrills come with speed and technical requirements.  I love bombing a road descent, and I love bombing a mountain trail descent.  I love short technical trail climbs.  I love and hate long road and trail climbs.

Fitness plays into the thrills I love.  For instance, three years ago I did not love any climbing.  A missionary once told me he loved climbing on his road bike.  I didn't believe him.  (Those guys are often too exuberent to believe everything they say.)  I now believe that a person can love climbing.  But I reserve the right to hate climbing as much - and at the same time - as I love climbing.

This Spring I rode the Slickrock trail in Moab with friends and family.  I can honestly say that I enjoyed every climb on that route.  They were short and technical, and my fitness level was high enough that I could ride every one...but some of them challenged my technical abilities.  On the other hand...my brother nearly disowned me for dragging his butt around that hellish loop.

Anyway, while riding in for work this morning I practiced riding in the drops most of the way.  I am amazed how good that position feels now.  When I started ernestly riding - 3 summers ago - I only got down in the drops experimentally for very short periods.  Each time I wondered how in the world anyone ever rode in that position.  Of course the position was completely foreign, but more dramatically...my lungs were being squished left and right by my plump legs that, although pumping up and down, never left contact with my bulging middle. 

Now, about 35 pounds lighter and 3 years more experienced, I find myself enjoying the great benefit of fitness every day.  That's why I ride.  That's why I commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment