July 12, 2010

Breezy

The weather report this morning called out a 15 mph southwest wind.  A quick mental check had me realizing that I should be speedy heading east and slogging heading south.  (I always have to rehash...wind direction is the direction from wich the wind is coming...not the direction to which it is going.)

However, when I got out on the road I had to wonder if I was again confused.  All I felt was wind in my face...while I was travelling east.  So...some of the wind was blowing west (an east wind).  And when I turned south the wind was blowing harder in my face.  That makes the weather report 50% correct with a southeast wind. 

I can only hope that this afternoon, when the predicted wind speed is 35 mph the directions will remain the same!

For a little perspective:  As I rode down Nemesis Hill this morning with power to the drive-train, my max speed was only 36 mph.  On a calm morning I can typically hit 40 mph without pedaling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment