July 14, 2010

Rolling Resistance

This morning I rolled my bike out of the garage and remembered that the tires have felt a little soft this week.  Attaching a pump to the valve stem revealed that I was running less than 45 psi!  I topped each off at 100 psi and got rolling.

Monday and Tuesday I rolled out and had to exhert some effort to get up to 18 mph up the false flat.  Today I glanced down to find I was at 19 mph with little effort!  My heart jumped to think that perhaps today was the day!  I surveyed the situation:  little to no wind, nice cool day, tires topped off, and plenty of energy...time for the TWTT!

Over that first stretch as my legs were warming up with pain surging in, I concentrated on breathing deep and even. At the first time split I was about 25 seconds down from my run last week.  Going down Nemesis Hill I only hit 42 mph, but conserved a little engergy for the final stretches.  As I reached the last light, a time check revealed that I might reach a huge goal:  to break 10 minutes! 

My time was at 9:15 as I pushed through that light, and I knew I was about 45 seconds from the mark.  I pushed with everything I had down the hill and across the bridge. When I reached the driveway at work I stopped the timer and steered on in, hardly daring to look down!  Finally I chanced a look to see this:  9:59.91.

No comments:

Post a Comment